Monday, July 12, 2010

not perfect, but learning

Lately I've been getting back into a bunch of handcrafts I've always loved - knitting among them. I have to admit, I really love sitting down to knit something while I'm watching tv or a movie. It makes me feel like I'm not completely wasting my time! lol And I'm usually able to whip out a small project within a couple of movies...

Well, this week, I decided to take my knitting to another level and try something I hadn't before - a lace pattern. I swear. I ripped this out 5 times yesterday and restarted. I think the difficult thing about it is what makes it so completely cool - the fact that the pattern creates diagonal stripes running through the piece. And at first I really couldn't see what they were talking about when they said that the repetition became mesmerizing, but as I caught on and saw the piece take shape, I finally understood and didn't want to put it down!

Ok. It's not perfect - I'll freely admit that, but I'm totally enjoying working on it! And I think that one hitch you see in the middle portion has to do with the fact that I ripped a few rows out right at that point instead of scrapping the entire thing! lol {That was after the previous 5 times starting over!}
I'll see if it bothers me enough to pull it out again. At this point, I'm just glad that I've caught on to the pattern enough to get these 20 rows accomplished. {My husband says I'm being a total perfectionist, and once it gets further, no one will notice.} Ha! He's probably right. {The ironic thing about this is that I know him to be very particular in his own work as well! :)}

Happy Monday all!!

6 comments:

Jennifer Yates said...

Looks soooo much better than I could ever do!!! :)Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

Rachel Chieppa said...

Honestly, there are only 2 things I can knit...a dishcloth and a scarf. I'm totally impressed.

k.miller said...

i totally agree with you, i have to do something while watching tv.. looks great! can't wait to see the finished product.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is just awesome!! Something I have always wanted to learn! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Elisabeth said...

Oh it's a lovely design! What's it going to be? I love to knit and crochet, but seem to do more of it in the winter months for some reason. I have recently started back up making doilies...guess I needed more doilies, LOL

Unknown said...

That still looks really good!! Im with Rachel.. i can knit square things in the standard! Im currently crocheting a scarf and just updated with my first ever crochet piece lol it was a mess but i love it

Related Posts with Thumbnails