Saturday, July 2, 2011

fun ideas for celebrating independence day

/this is something I haven't had the chance to try out yet - we usually drive in the car and sit in the air conditioning to watch the fireworks along the beach, so I don't really have the opportunity to set up a tripod and stuff. But a couple of my favorite sites were offering tips for getting great shots and I had to pass them along!

photojojo: 11 tips for sparkling fireworks photos:

The article also links to a bunch of other fun things like fireworks photos on flickr, tips from smithsonian photographers, and an article on the origin of fireworks. Fun reading. Well, in a geeky sort of way. {which I will unashamedly admit to being}

creativeLive is offering a free, hour long video on photographing fireworks. I ALWAYS learn tons when I pop in and listen to their webinars. There really isn't anything that can compare with insider tips from people that have been shooting for YEARS. Both as a hobby, and then commercially.

Of course the holidays aren't complete without food! I've been peeking around looking for ideas and here are a few that I've found.


For those of you that don't know, I'm a "mostly" vegan - 98% of the time. I eat very little meat, dairy or eggs. Dairy and eggs mostly just through the occasional baked good. 



This is from a new favorite site - cook it allergy free. If you or a family member have any food allergies, it's great to check out! I'm actually thinking about checking out their iphone app as well...

I love, love this idea, and I'm SURE the recipe is fabulous - though the amount of  food coloring always gives me the shivers, in spite of the fact that I love to indulge in it occasionally. Our youngest son is really allergic to it, so that's a no for us as a family! But I've also looked up this all natural version of red velvet that you could try!
I'm really looking forward to trying this - really. You'll never guess what it's colored with! One of my favorite veggies, of course.

Last but not least, my choice for our holiday picnic this year:
The strawberries and blueberries are gloriously ripe right now, so I couldn't resist! Enjoy your Independence Holiday!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails