Thursday, July 12, 2012

trend inspiration - feathers

It's been so quiet around here that I can hear crickets if I stop a moment. I have so many things to post and write about, but the craziness of summer has swept me away from my schedule of regular posting. I'm so glad it has, too! I've been doing a ton of creative work and am basically adjusting from being a "stay at home mom", whose only responsibility is to care for our home and family {which is still lots!}, to a "work at home mom" - who now gets that absolute delight of juggling both work and family.

I'm taking to it like a fish to water, though - the creative time seems to fuel my energy, instead of drain it, and that's an awesome feeling. I've always been a person energized by creativity, and this has been one of the awesomest, most toughest, most amazing experiences to build my creative business. I'd put it right up there with raising our boys. It's the same kind of experience...

I'm sure as summer settles down, and things resume a school schedule, I'll be posting much more regularly. Right now, my free moments are spent toting the boys to the sprinkler park, racing them to swim laps in the pool, and taking the occasional detour to the beach. I'm so, so thankful to have an awesome and supportive husband through the whole process - he has watched things blossom and supported every moment and step - and even though I could do it without him, it's so much better having him by my side.

On to today's inspiration! Debbie Hodge shares some awesome inspiration for the feather trend that's currently floating around both fashion, and home decor on her blog - the creative team shares their fabulous takes on adding feathers to their scrapbooks in the post here.
If adding actual feathers to your layout scares you a bit, though, you might like to try something inspired by the layout that I did! I started with a leaf diecut {I used the Tattered Leaves diecut by Tim Holtz for Sizzix, but you could use any feather shaped one!}. After cutting a variety of patterned papers, I fringed the edges to look like feathers! I then clustered them around the mat for my photos.

Hope you're inspired to go do something creative!

Have a lovely Thursday!

~ Leah

8 comments:

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE this! Feathers! I'm gonna have to try that.

Maria Asmus said...

I love your layout, it´s so so pretty!! :)

Patricia Roebuck said...

Oh I love this. Makes me want to make feathers too. So excited about your business. One day i hope to have 'my' routine but not until chickadee can be more independent.

Jennifer Grace said...

Lovely, a great idea for how to create feathers! x

sandi said...

Love this! The cluster of leaves and the use of the tape look fab! Love your blog and your carefree style!

Leslie Ashe said...

feathers. YUM!! I must MUST try this! LOVE them!

Melissa Mann said...

Congrats on another term with AC! Love the layout too!

Michelle Hernandez said...

The feathers trend snuck up on me- I hadn't seen anything then suddenly this weekend I saw 4 completely different projects using that shape in different ways- it's awesome and now I'm off to try my own take on it. LOVE this page!!! Wonderful design (as always). Congrats on another AC DT term- that's awesome!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails