Sunday, January 10, 2010

Keeping Cozy...


I love soup. Maybe even more so because I don't get to eat it very often. But with the recent bitter cold spell we've been riding out, my crockpot is lending extra warmth to the house while the list of favorite soup recipes is growing. This week's new recipe? Corn chowder. I have to tell you though, that in this case, the "recipe" became "suggestion of an idea". Bwahahaha! I'm actually realizing that I do that a LOT. I need to sit down this afternoon and write exactly WHAT I put in this, because it was FANTASTIC. I'll tell you flat out, I used less of some of the suggested spices, and substituted some of my favorites. Omitted the cheddar all together. Thickened it with a rue. De-glazed my pan with 1 T. of rice wine vinegar instead of the 1/2 white wine, and used frozen corn instead of fresh. Well, that's not really much of a change. lol
I topped it with a swirl of my Cuban black bean soup, and some salad shrimp warmed in garlic butter. Along with some of my homemade biscuits...
You may ask how this was shopping my pantry? I had all of the ingredients on hand. When I did the meal planning for this week, I decided to add the salad shrimp to the list - we'll be having shrimp fried rice later this week as well. The corn, chicken stock, milk and seasoning were all things I keep on hand. And the biscuit ingredients as well. I'll be sharing the recipe for the biscuits soon! And just know, I'm busy behind the scenes organizing those recipes! I've been using most of mine for ages, and don't always measure ingredients! lol So I'm busy writing them down and getting exact measurements...

And I have a new digital kit releasing this evening! I'll be back later to share what I've put together with it! :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl this looks SO yummy! Gosh you rock. ;) So looking forward to starting Style School with you!

Elisabeth said...

I can almost taste it..Gosh that looks so good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails