Tuesday, August 31, 2010

book love

As any mom that really wants to encourage her kids' learning, I love finding books that the boys love. We've kinda been in a slump with the reading, so I took our "correlated reading list" for both boys' curriculum/grade year to the library and b&n. I'm amazed at the results! The boys are happy to be reading again, and they found some stuff that they really love! Here are the top picks so far!

For E {K4}:
This was already a favorite around here,
So when we found this one, we knew it would be golden. And it is! We've read it 4 times the first day home... and run through the counting to 100 on the final page several times.


E loves - I mean LOVES his cars. Mama loved the altered art look of this book, and the rhyming story is just as cute...

And who doesn't love the mischievous Max, of Max and Ruby fame? Max gets in a lot of trouble with his little ant farm in this book, and E's just loving it... another that's been a repeat on the first day!
One I can't wait to read...

For D {third grade}, I decided to go a bit light... just getting back into the swing of things for the year. He tests out really high for reading levels, but it doesn't really seem like something he wants to just hang out and do. I think because he tests out high, I tend to pick out {or encourage him to pick out} tougher books. Which might be a mistake. I wanted him to go in and just grab some things that would entertain him, and spark his interest - sort of, build a love of reading that we could encourage...

And when I found this book lurking on the shelves, he got really excited, since this silly movie is one of his faves! Excited enough that he started reading it for his reading time, and later when I checked on him, he was reading it again in bed, snuggled up for the night...
He also wanted the sequel, Pickles to Pittsburgh. And he's already talking about starting that as soon as he finishes the first! lol {ps - it's about 11pm, and I just saw him sneak out looking for this! HeeHee! Love it!}

He loves sports of all kinds, and loves learning the history and rules, and reading about special players, so he wanted to grab this...

As well as it's companion... should be an interesting read, and most of all, since this is free reading, it's his choice. :)

A cute one that we picked up on the recommended list is this little one - love the colors throughout, and it's about the little boy learning to whistle... I couldn't get the image to pull up...

Anyway, I love that I've been able to find so many of these at the library, or grab them in a sturdy softcover - which isn't too pricey!

Hopefully I haven't bored you to tears - it's what's been on my mind, and what I've been taking care of lately! ^_^

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Lisa Carroll said...

We love books around here. One of my faves is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Lately all we have been reading is chapter books, especially the Captain Underpants books. Ace loves that series. I need to go check out the school library and see what we can check out.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what AWESOME BOOKS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Related Posts with Thumbnails